Barnack stone could be described as the principle stone which built early Cambridge, unfortunately the quarry got worked out by 1460.
The Kings Cliffe old quarry in Northants and associated quarries were worked during the late medieval to post medieval periods. They have long ceased to exist.
The Weldon stone quarries were situated South and to the SW of the Northamptonshire Village. They covered 25HA, many abandoned quarries and shafts were still evident during the 1970’s in fact a small area was still being worked at the time. All is now abandoned!
Switherland slate. The quarries became uneconomical following the arrival of the railway mid-1800 and particularly due to the impact of cheap Welsh slate flooding the country.
Clipsham stone was originally quarried at 7 locations. Today it is available from two of these locations.
An area in Clipsham Parish close to the original big pits quarry and Hooby Lane Quarry Greetham. (See our report on the Clipsham Stone Quarries). Car stone from Norfolk is still quarried by two companies.
The chalk (clunch) pits became abandoned, some became part of a cement works which is now closed.
Ham Stone is still quarried from two pits on Ham Hill.
Ancaster Stone is quarried at Castle Pits Quarry by Goldholme Stone Ltd.
Castle Pits is the original Ancaster Quarry and is situated within a lost 32 acre Fort built by the ninth Legion in AD 48.
After a period of closure, it is believed that Doulting stone is available once more.
Ketton stone is now controlled by a cement works. The Limestone blocks are available but have moved a considerable distance from the original quarry location. The stone may have little resemblance to the medieval characteristics of Ketton Stone.
Bath stone is available from two mines, both have moved a considerable distance from the original extraction locations.
Portland stone is still mined by 3 separate companies. Purbec stone is still available.